Managing movement: Thoracic Spine and Ribs – Kinetic Control (KC)
DescriptionPart of our Masterclass Series, this module demonstrates innovative techniques to evaluate uncontrolled movement related to presentations of the thorax and ribs.
The main focus of this course is to review the functional anatomy of the thorax, outlining the functional classification of thoracic musculature with local and global role synergy systems identified.
This course details the evaluation and mobilisation of thoracic and rib presentations and explores cognitive movement control strategies.
Who’s it for?Kinetic Control courses are designed for registered medical health professionals such as physiotherapists, osteopaths, chiropractors, podiatrists etc.
In exceptional circumstances experienced non-medical health professionals may be allowed to attend Kinetic Control courses but these participants MUST be able demonstrate that the course material is within their scope of practice.
If you are not sure if this course is right for you and want to check get in touch.
What’s involved?This module is delivered over two days (12 hours) during which learners are guided through the programme and complete practical assessments.
For added reassurance, each learner is assessed throughout the course using a range of practical demonstrations and learning checks designed to support your successful integration of the content into your clinical practice.
To ensure you get the most effective learning experience, learners must be physically able to participate as you will be required to participate in practical scenario-based training sessions.
- Learners must be at least 18 years old on the first day of the training
- Candidates need a basic command of English (defined as Level 2)*
- Certification fees
- Course material
What will I learn?Key learning outcomes are:
- Demonstrate understanding of the proposed development of uncontrolled movement.
- Display an ability to analyse the association between restriction and potential compensations in articular and myofascial tissues.
- Demonstrate the ability to palpate the thoracic spine and rib cage to make a positional diagnosis of thoracic and rib compensation for restriction.
- Display an ability to demonstrate manual techniques to mobilise thoracic and rib restrictions.
- Clinically assess movement strategies to identify and diagnose the sit and direction of uncontrolled movement and retrain uncontrolled movement associated to the thorax.
- Assess and rehab local stabiliser role synergists recruitment efficiency in the thoracic spine.
- Discuss the influence of altered global role muscle synergies.
Suggested ProgressionThis course forms one part of our Muscle Synergy Series from here you can move onto the other two modules:
- Managing Movement: Impairments of the Lower Leg
- Clinical Judgement: Making the Best Clinical Decisions
- And more
Or continue along our Education Pathway and become a Kinetic Control Accredited Tutor (KCAT)
We recommended continually developing and refreshing your knowledge, have a look at our series of Online Learning or upcoming courses.
Purchase a place on an open course: